Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Losing Gracefully

Here is an oddball small blessing. I just lost at scrabble - lost quite stupendously - against two seven-letter words augmented with overall fine play by my beloved. It is very easy under such circumstances to become morose and grumpy toward the inevitable end of the game, where I am stuck with a rack-full of unmanageable consonants. We have even had to make a house rule that it is ok to moan and groan when you draw bad letters turn after turn, and partners are not to take offense. However... I feel that the world will be a happier place if I make an effort to lose with a cheerful countenance! I am going to attempt the good old British sportsmanship and "What ho, old boy, well played!" If I can do it without a sarcastic curl to the upper lip, I will consider myself to have laid up a tiny little treasure in Heaven. I will bet there are other occasions in life where my practice in losing gracefully will come in handy.

Then, sometimes, we also have to win gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment