Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Not the Last

Well, I felt like writing today. As long as you are breathing there is always more, right Gloria?

Tim persuaded me that we should work in the garden while the weather is mild and between rains. It turned out to be very nice outside - pink cheek weather. There were buckets and buckets of rotted leaves and pathetic frozen bits to remove.

But, guess what? The crocus are coming up, as are the snowdrops! I was clearing old brown leaves from around the hellebore, thinking I should cut back last year's leaves in a month or so, but discovered they are already lifting sleek shiny buds above the soil. One plant is already showing the pink promise of flowers opening soon. So I cut back the leaves. That always worries me a bit - doesn't the plant still need those leaves? However, generations of ruthless English gardeners have done it and so do I. It is so nice to be able to see the shy flowers.

The red flowering currant has fat buds, as do many other spring bloomers. The sarcococca hasn't opened it's scented January flowers yet, but they are ready to go.

I think gardening makes one optimistic. Wonderful things always lie ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment