Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Time Spent vs Time Let Go

We talk about spending time. The expression is weighted with the idea that time is a limited and valuable commodity that will "buy" us something. Limited? Yes, certainly, but I don't care for this market-place metaphor. Time it there... what we accomplish during its passage is up to us. We are blessed if we can apply ourselves to things that we love to do. But we can also let it pass like water through our fingers trailing in a stream. We are often taught to feel guilty about "wasting time". Why?

Tim and I are trying an experiment that is a nod to the idea of Sabbath.  Tonight we will turn off the computer and the phone, sit down to a beautiful table and spend the evening companionably as if we were each other's delightful guests. No practicing, no chores. It is not that this doesn't happen anyway quite often, but we choose deliberately to set aside this time outside of time in that marketplace sense. How will this feel? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment