Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Candle Light



As the nights close in, we once more enjoy the magic of candle light. We differ from many families in that we are able to have a sit-down dinner together most nights and always burn candles except during the summer.

For us, lighting the candles sets the dinner hour apart from the rest of day. It is a time for conversation and relaxation; a time for paying attention to each other, not to the distractions of life. Candle light is romantic. It warms and softens skin tones, and softly shadows and highlights hair and eyes.  It doesn't glare and makes food look appetizing, sending intriguing glints through wine and onto silverware. It encourages us to linger and enjoy each other .

Then with the ritual snuffing out of the candles, everyday life returns, and the washing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment