Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rules and Reasons

Dear known and unknown readers - In church today we were asked to be mindful of our blessings. Not a bad idea, but I immediately begin thinking of the big stuff: family, health, habitable planet, nifty cosmos that goes round and round while whizzing apart. It is hard to write about this kind of thing without getting very, very heavy. But there are the small blessings, so manifold, sweet and silly.


It seems self-indulgent to write a blog. Yet that statement shows you the sort of self-censorship I would like to shed. The discipline of blogging every day should improve my writing, and thinking of small blessings is bound to be good for the heart.


Here are my rules:
1 Write about a small blessing every day. Lost days (no computer, down with swine flu, etc.) to be made up. I will continue till the New Year, if not longer.
2 Spontaneity is to be valued. Avoid obsessive editing and self-censorship.
3 No complaining.
4 Rules added by Tim: I am not to write about him and don't be maudlin. (That cuts out a whole world of blessings right there - see I broke both rules at once. Ha! OK, I am done with that.)
5 Rule under consideration: No repeating.
6 Finally, I should avoid the connecting blessings. It appears that all the small blessings connect to others, small and eventually large. I think I will italicize the "side blessings" without pursuing them.

I hope, Dear Reader, in my small way to make you smile.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading all of your entries except Autumn Flowers and Autumn Sunshine--I'm wondering why those 2 didn't call to me...oh well! I enjoyed your writing and insights, and of course your rules and reasons. You acheived one goal: I smiled over several of your comments, and I have decided to be more congizant of the many small blessings that come my way. Thanks, Annie!

    ReplyDelete