Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Monday, October 5, 2009

Vanilla


Of all comfort foods, those scented with vanilla are the most infallibly calming and pleasing to me. Cookies warm from the oven, cinnamon buns, puddings, pastries - all these flood my brain with endorphins, even just to smell them. Oh, the pleasure of slicing open a vanilla pod and, with the point of a small knife, scraping out the fragrant pulp and minuscule seeds. Put the empty pod in the sugar bowl for vanilla-scented sugar.

I read years ago that vanilla comes from orchids. What a beautiful notion. So I looked it up and found that they are grown commercially in many parts of the tropics and subtropics. Can you imagine a grove?, a field?, a forest of vanilla orchids? Wikipedia says they are mostly sweet smelling, but do they smell of vanilla? What a concept! They are very pretty flowers, too. Think of that when next you take a luscious bite of a vanilla-scented treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment