Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Gas Stove




When I cook I like "on" to be "on", "off" to be "off", and "low" to be "low". It has been so many years since I have had an electric stove at home, that I have forgotten all the little tricks of working with them.  The electric elements require much more attention than gas - not to let the mind wander while they are interminably heating up, remembering to turn them down or off before you are ready, balancing pots half-on and half-off the burner. When we moved into our present house, it had an antique electric range. The unit was very homey looking and apparently quite strong. The first time I set the kettle on to boil, nothing happened for a while, as I expected - then suddenly it boiled so furiously that water shot out the spout onto the floor. I could never regulate it. We went out to purchase a gas range as soon as possible.

I like to see the fire that cooks my food. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a fan of barbecuing and camp fires.  I like to be able to look at the pretty blue flames beneath my cooking pot and adjust them just right, and to be able to regulate the rate of cooking in real time. For me this is a day to day small blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment