Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Magnets

Oh, those mysterious toys, magnets! One of my sons could play with them for hours at a time. My husband also has a favorite magnet toy (shown below). Magnets' invisible power, their "endedness" causing them to suddenly whiz around to their chosen orientation, their choice of materials to attract, their ability to work through neutral objects like a sheet of paper, the beautiful patterns they can form in a tray of iron filings - all these behaviors make them fascinating.



Their practical applications are many, ranging from recording tapes and discs, televisions and computer monitors, audio speakers, electric motors, transformers, MRI machines, heart pacemakers, and particle accelerators, not to mention compasses and refrigerator magnets. The serious uses take us into the realm of large blessings.

I use magnets for a very mundane purpose. My husband thought of this. One is screwed to the side of my embroidery frame to hold my little scissors and two more hold my pattern in place, one on the top and one underneath the embroidery. These little magnets assist me nearly every day, as modest small blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment