Well, I did it! I wrote every day from early October to New Year's Day 2010. Now I will write for fun when I feel like it and see where that gets me. Cheers to all my small-blessing-appreciating friends!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Orchid



One of the orchid plants decided to open its flowers this week. Tim is the caretaker of our indoor plants. He patiently waters and feeds them. Most of his plants are simply green - it is rare for any plant to produce flowers in our house and those that do often make inconspicuous little blossoms.

The two orchid plants are such odd leathery creatures - each year they put up one or a few new thick stems and leaves, along with white fleshy roots to cling to their bark-filled pots. Then they sit there until winter. A dainty stem emerges from among the leaves and swells into buds. Then the buds open one by one into gorgeous velvety purple blooms. Why do they wait till this time of year? Do they come from the southern hemisphere? I have no idea. But these elegant undemanding beauties are certainly a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment